[MPlayer-users] xvid: cropping black borders and fixing aspect

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Apr 1 02:13:04 CEST 2005

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:39:55 -0500
Aaron Peterson <dopplecoder at gmail.com> wrote:

> It was playing at 480x480 and everyone had tall person syndrome.
> using -aspect 4:3 seemed to look right,
> It was playing at 480x480 and everyone had tall person syndrome.
> using -aspect 4:3 seemed to look right, so this is what seemed to fix
> the aspect and borders okay:
>
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:trell:mbd=2 \
> -vf scale=480:380,crop=480:208:0:86 \
> -o "$(basename $f .avi).new.avi" "$f"

Sounds like SVCD video.  A hardware player would assume 4/3 aspect, and play it back properly.

> I'm a little worried about losing quality by re-encoding though.  Do
> you think the degradation will be noticeable?

If you're doing single-pass encoding, yes, especially in high-motion scenes, it will.  With 2-passes, it will look much better.  You also need to specify a bitrate, it just defaults to 800 and you might want something higher.

In the future, do not reply off-list.