[MPlayer-users] mencoder questions

Oleynik Phil Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Apr 4 14:40:36 CEST 2005

Rainer Hantsch wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I have two questions belonging on mencoder.
>
>1. Reducing verbosity
>   When I start mencoder, it tells me more than 60 lines about what it has
>   found ans loaded. Surely useful for first steps, but not very
>   interesting when running mencoder in scripts where you would like to
>   run it not completely but very quiet.
>   Is there an option which reduces verbosity to a very minimum, like
>   telling me which frame size/fps/encoding it will use (maybe in 1-2 lines?)
>   and the same with audio (in another 1-2 lines), followed by the usual
>   line with "pos:1583.4s 12345f (0%) ........."?

Do -quiet and -really-quiet options not help? I displays in extreme case
only program version.
If you are really inclined to make mplayer totally quiet - edit source.
It will help for sure.

>2. Stamping while recording
>   I am sure this is a very unusual wish because everybody is happy to see
>   nothing of such stuff inside the recordings, but I have a special case
>   where a static text/image should be overlayed either periodically or
>   permanent over the whole image.
>   I think about either drawing some kind of image in frame size with either
>   a transparent background or with one color to be handled as "transparent"
>   like in a "bluebox",
>   or using only some text which will be inserted like a subtitle.

I recommend to use subtitles and hardsub it into the movie, maybe not
right from TV.

>   The video source will be video4linux (a Hauppauge bt878 card) and will be
>   used to record/digitize VHS tapes. Because the recordings are for preview
>   DVDs, either the logo of the company or "For your condcideration" should
>   be irreversibly inserted.
>   The final step of converting my DivX -> DVD-Iso is still a nightmare in
>   Linux and will be done on a Windoze PC with Adobe Premiere, but recording
>   shall happen on my Linux-Box because everything on hardware is available
>   on it.
>

>Any ideas how I could get that done with Linux and my existing mencoder?
>->  MEncoder 0.90-RPM-3.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

For your version - I really recommend to change it to pre6a. Mplayer and
mencoder improved GREATLY,
since that ancient times.

Good luck, Philipp