[MPlayer-users] mencoder questions

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Mon Apr 4 15:04:46 CEST 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Oleynik Phil wrote:
| Rainer Hantsch wrote:
| >1. Reducing verbosity
| >   When I start mencoder, it tells me more than 60 lines about what it has
| >   found ans loaded. Surely useful for first steps, but not very
| >   interesting when running mencoder in scripts where you would like to
| >   run it not completely but very quiet.
| >   Is there an option which reduces verbosity to a very minimum, like
| >   telling me which frame size/fps/encoding it will use (maybe in 1-2 lines?)
| >   and the same with audio (in another 1-2 lines), followed by the usual
| >   line with "pos:1583.4s 12345f (0%) ........."?
| >
| Do -quiet and -really-quiet options not help? I displays in extreme case
| only program version.
| If you are really inclined to make mplayer totally quiet - edit source.
| It will help for sure.

Sorry to say, but this options seem to be only valid for mplayer, not for
mencoder. When I use -quite, it immediately aborts with "-quiet illegal
option". (I would not have asken when -quiet would work.) ;-)

Again a reason for splitting the docs into TWO docs. One for mplayer and one
for mencoder, each one only showing what is valid in the related program.

| >2. Stamping while recording
| >   I am sure this is a very unusual wish because everybody is happy to see
| >   nothing of such stuff inside the recordings, but I have a special case
| >   where a static text/image should be overlayed either periodically or
| >   permanent over the whole image.
| >   I think about either drawing some kind of image in frame size with either
| >   a transparent background or with one color to be handled as "transparent"
| >   like in a "bluebox",
| >   or using only some text which will be inserted like a subtitle.
| >
| I recommend to use subtitles and hardsub it into the movie, maybe not
| right from TV.

Can you tell me how to do that? I never played around with subtitles. Let's
start with the following situation: I have a ready made (recorded) DivX4 file
on my harddisk, plus mplayer/mencoder.

| >   The video source will be video4linux (a Hauppauge bt878 card) and will be
| >   used to record/digitize VHS tapes. Because the recordings are for preview
| >   DVDs, either the logo of the company or "For your condcideration" should
| >   be irreversibly inserted.
| >   The final step of converting my DivX -> DVD-Iso is still a nightmare in
| >   Linux and will be done on a Windoze PC with Adobe Premiere, but recording
| >   shall happen on my Linux-Box because everything on hardware is available
| >   on it.
| >

| >Any ideas how I could get that done with Linux and my existing mencoder?
| >->  MEncoder 0.90-RPM-3.2 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)
| >
| For your version - I really recommend to change it to pre6a. Mplayer and
| mencoder improved GREATLY,
| since that ancient times.

Is it running stable? This is most important to me.
Currently I am not very interested in changing anything because I am
recording some series from TV (Enterprise, SG Atlantis). And I don't want to
start experiments and loose possibly some episodes hereby.

Therefore any suggestion which works with my existing (and approved) versions
is currently preferred.

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch