[MPlayer-users] Large delay before video begins playing

Kevin Gilbert kev.gilbert at cdu.edu.au
Thu Apr 7 10:54:23 CEST 2005

> > > Your problem appears to be related to your soundcard, and not to that
> > > specific type of file.
> > >
> > > Are you specifying "-ao oss" or "-ao alsa"?  Do you have esd (esound) or
> > > arts running?
> >
> > Yes - I am running arts. So, after a little bit of experimentation and
> > Googling, I've put "ao=arts" in by .mplayer/config file all's fine.
> >
> > Thx for your help - a _very_ annoying problem is now fixed. :)
>
> That's great, but do you understand what the problem was now and
> why there was a delay?
>
> R.

To be quite honest, no, I do not know why there was a delay. I'm not exactly a n00b when it comes to Linux in general. Yes, I run "roll-your-own" kernels, I have a various hacks into a few parts of KDE. But it would be true to say that I'm not exactly an expert in the audio and video fields.

If you can explain why there was a delay that would be great. Not only for my benefit, but for others that may follow in my footsteps. There is nothing more frustrating that to find a discussion like this via, say, Google, and then to find that that last _vital_ piece of information is missing.

Cheers,

Kevin