[MPlayer-users] burned dvd wont play - what goes wrong

Julián Nuñez julian at proteger.org.ar
Thu Apr 7 21:48:58 CEST 2005

Bob Davis wrote:

> Giacomo Comes wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:00:25PM +0100, Stephen Mollett wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,

>>> I'd suggest using dvdbackup (from dvd-create.sourceforge.net) to
>>> dump the structure of the DVD to your hard drive (as a
>>> directory/file tree), which also decrypts the VOBs, then using
>>> mkisofs -dvd-video .... to remaster it:
>>>
>>> dvdbackup -i /dev/dvd -M -o /path/to/save/backup
>>> mkisofs -dvd-video [other options] -o image.iso /path/to/save/backup
>>>
>>> Then just burn the image as usual. (I guess you could save a bit of
>>> disk space by piping the image straight into dvdrecord.)
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>

>> Another tool similar to to dvdbackup is vobcopy.
>>
>> But you have to remember two things:
>> 1) dvdbackup or vobcopy make a backup of the video content
>> of the DVD but they do not backup other files present outside the
>> directory VIDEO_TS
>> 2) If you make a backup of a DVD9, you will not be able to burn
>> it on a non dual-layer dvd media.
>>
>> With encode2mpeg (http://encode2mpeg/sf/net)
>> you can backup easily the full content of a DVD with just the
>> following command:
>>
>> encode2mpeg -o DISK -cache /var/tmp/cache /media/cdrecorder
>> -savecache -removecache -cacheonly
>>
>> You have also the option to backup a DVD9 on two
>> single layer DVD and be able to use the 2 backup DVD
>> on a PC.
>> More details on http://encode2mpeg.sf.net/html/cache.html
>>
>> Giacomo

> Unfortunately I am on win-xp and use cygwin. I looked and didnt see
> any reference to dvdbackup being able to be compiled to win32?
>
> As far as I know all 3 of these tools are linux only
> 1. dvdbackup
> 2. vobcopy
> 3. encode2mpeg
>
> I do have access to a 3 or 4 linux machines but they tend to be the
> underpowered, small disks servers of the house. The tv card and
> dvdburner are on the winxp machine. I am going to look at dvd shrink
> as a possible win32 solution.

Use SmartRipper. I use it to backup/decrypt DVD discs on Win32.

--
"El verdadero valor esta en hacer sin testigos, lo que podría hacerse delante de todo el mundo"

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the
homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of
totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
    Mahatma Gandhi (1869 - 1948), "Non-Violence in Peace and War"