[MPlayer-users] My first try to play HDTV demos ...

Rainer Hantsch office at hantsch.co.at
Thu Apr 14 11:15:41 CEST 2005

Hello!

I just got some movie files from my son's friend. This are HDTV files in
1080px and 720px width.

I tried to play them with my mplayer, but it tells me that it misses codecs or
has difficulties with them. This is primarily a question of interestand no
emergency, but it would still be funny to get this working.

Can someone tell me what I actually must do to get this working? Is it a
missing codec or must I pass some special options to mplayer? Of course, it is
also possible that mplayer is too old, but when I read about all this
difficulties with the latest ones, I am a little bit afraid to upgrade. ;-)

mfg

  Ing. Rainer Hantsch

Here's the output of my mplayer when I try to play them:

rainer at miraculix:~/hdtv/1080p> mplayer Amazing_Caves_1080.wmv
---<snip>-----------------------------------------------------------
MPlayer 0.90pre8-2.95.3 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Duron MG Morgan (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
SSE supported but disabled
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx

Reading /home/rainer/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
'/home/rainer/.mplayer/cod
ecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 38 audio & 106 video codecs
font: can't open file: /home/rainer/.mplayer/font/font.desc
Font /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
Linux RTC init error: Permission denied
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /home/rainer/.mplayer/input.conf : No such file
or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file
or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
Setting up lirc support...
mplayer: could not connect to socket
mplayer: Permission denied
Failed opening lirc support!
You won't be able to use your remote control

Playing Amazing_Caves_1080.wmv
Detected ASF file format!
============ ASF Stream group == START ===
 object size = 38
 stream count=[0x2][2]
   stream id=[0x1][1]
   max bitrate=[0x60ef8][397048]
   stream id=[0x2][2]
   max bitrate=[0x7ad5b0][8050096]
============ ASF Stream group == END ===
VIDEO:  [WMV3]  1440x1080  24bpp
Clip info:
 name:
 author:
 copyright:
 comments:
Can't find codec for audio format 0x162!
*** Try to upgrade /home/rainer/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
*** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
vo: X11 running at 1600x1200 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Can't find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x33564D57!
*** Try to upgrade /home/rainer/.mplayer/codecs.conf from etc/codecs.conf
*** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!

Exiting... (End of file)