[MPlayer-users] [Very OT] German Speakers

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Fri Apr 15 19:48:41 CEST 2005

Sorry for the very very off-topic post.
I wanted to reach a large audience of helpful Europeans.  :)

I'm curious about something in German.  In English, the verb "explode"
is intransitive.  A thing explodes, but someone does not explode it.
We could say I "detonate" something, but that verb is too technical.
What sounds best, IMO, is to say I "blow it up".  The phrase is
informal, but seems most correct.

I understand that in German, "explodieren", like "explode", is
intransitive.  So what's the correct equivalent of "blow up"?  How would
you talk about filling something with explosives and destroying it?
My dictionaries don't answer such questions.

--Joey

--
Me: "Isn't Kennedy as real as Colonel Sanders?"
Chad: "... Which Kennedy?"