[MPlayer-users] No Sound with mplayer on soundcard as well as on DVB-Card

Manfred Seich manfredseich at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 17 15:29:33 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have a onboard soundcard on my system

Beforehand on this machine Suse 9.0 with graphical interface (KDE) was
installed.
Audio, i.e. sound was okay.

Now I installed on a new hard drive on same machine Suse 9.0 with no
graphical interface (KDE), i.e. only minimum system.
After that I installed Mplayer and now I manage my system only through
console.

I´ve made following output:
mplayer -ao help

Available audio output drivers:
        mpegpes DVB audio output
        oss     OSS/ioctl audio output
        null    Null audio output
        pcm     RAW PCM/WAVE file writer audio output
        plugin  Plugin audio output

Now I tried following:
-mplayer -ao mpegpes Rod_Stewart.mp3 => No sound on DVB-Card.
-mplayer -ao oss Rod_Stewart.mp3 => No sound on sound card.
Error message: [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No
such device

But /dev/dsp exists:
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Mar 19 17:57 /dev/dsp -> dsp0

I have no clue what´s wrong
Same problem exists if I try to watch movies:
mplayer -ao oss -vo mpegpes dvd://1 -dvd-device /dev/dvdram
Error message: [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: No
such device
Video output is very good.

Do you have a hint to fix this problem?

This is my system:
cpu : 431.466 MHz (Celeron)
Memory : 439 MB
Swap : 196 MB
Kernel Version : linux 2.4.21-99-default
libc version                 : lib/libc.so.6
gcc and ld versions                 : gcc version 3.3.1
Mplayer version : MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.1
Linux                                         : Suse 9.0

Thank you very much.

Best regards.
Manni