[MPlayer-users] mplayer frosen after 5 hours of playing

Oleynik Phil Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Mon Apr 18 18:24:05 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 09:53:44 +0200
>"Maxipoint Rep Office" <maxipoint at st.htnet.hr> wrote:
>

>>After 5-6 hours of playing PC was be frosen.. mplayer process is on
>>99% and video stay stop on TV screen, and I must restart PC
>>

>I've personally watched videos longer than 5-6 hours with mplayer
>(though not with recent versions) and never had any signs of problems.
>It sounds to me like your hardware is overheating.  Are you
>overclocking your processor?  A hot CPU is most likely the problem, but
>it could be just about any hardware: power supply, videocard,
>northbridge, RAM, hard drive, etc.

You should check CPU and motherboard chips for overheating. It DOES
happen when playing
video for long time. I had similar problems, until I cleaned CPU's
heatsink from dust.
Usually, when you do nothing, CPU must be as cold as room temperature.
When you use
it at almost full load, it may overheat, and also may help other
components on the motherboard
to overheat. While touching anything inside PC - turn it off, pull the
AC cord off and touch the
ground once, to get off static electricity.

Phil