[MPlayer-users] Deinterlacing... which one do you guys use?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Apr 18 18:20:14 CEST 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:54:01 +0930
"Mark Williams (MWP)" <mwp at internode.on.net> wrote:

> really cant find a lot of good opinions other than "they all suck".

That's because they all DO suck.

> So... what is your favorite mencoder deinterlacer settings?

This isn't a good question.  Everyone has their own favorite, for their
own different reasons.

"pp=md" and "kerndeint" work well, and are recomended.

"pp=lb" is mine, because I prefer visual quality, hate the aliasing with
everything other deinterlacer, and I don't mind the ghosting on
high-motion scenes...

"tfields=4" is good in some ways.  It converts your video into
half-height, double-FPS, so you get very smooth motion, at the expense
of quality.

Try them out, pick the one you dislike the least.  None of them are
anywhere near perfect, though I think "pp=lb" could be, if it got
motion compensation...