[MPlayer-users] Incorrect language during DVD playback

Jon Morris jon at noga.cc
Tue Apr 26 18:27:06 CEST 2005

I am in the process of backing up my DVD collection to my PVR system.  I used mencoder to encode a DVD, but when I played back the resulting avi the language is not English.  Here is the encoding command I used.  I got this straight from the website documentation:

mencoder dvd://1 -ofps 24000/1001 -oac copy -vf crop=720:352:0:60,hqdn3d=2:1:2 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=2400:v4mv:mbd=2:trell:cmp=3:subcmp=3:mbcmp=3:autoaspect:vpass=1 -o moviename.avi

I then ran the same command changing vpass=2.  If I play the resulting 'moviename.avi' with mplayer, the audio language is in Spanish.  If I play the original DVD with mplayer the audio is English.  How can I tell mencoder which language to use for the default?

thanks,
Jon