[MPlayer-users] DTS audio question -- perhaps off topic

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 00:00:06 CEST 2005

Aaron Peterson wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to take a DTS Audio CD and re-encode it
> to a multichannel ogg file.  I was thinking MPlayer could read DTS
> Audio off DVDs and down mux it or whatever for two speakers, I was
> curious if It could read DTS Audio CDs and perhaps re-encode to
> multi-channel ogg?  I'm guessing no, but it never hurts to ask I
> think :-)

No, it can't do that, not directly anyway. (MEncoder is a video encoder,
not an audio encoder, and MPlayer can (aside from playback) only either
dump the unaltered stream or output it to a PCM/WAV file.) The best you
could get is to either use 'mplayer -dumpaudio' to get the audio stream
off of the CD, and then use other tools to transcode and mux it, or use
MEncoder to copy/transcode the video and transcode the audio into some
multi-channel non-Ogg format and then use other tools to extract the
audio from that file and remux it into Ogg. Neither of these is exactly
ideal, but then MPlayer/MEncoder isn't meant for dealing with audio
alone either.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.