[MPlayer-users] gmplayer

Heitzso heitzso at growthmodels.com
Wed Apr 27 01:58:40 CEST 2005

Nestor Waldyd wrote:

>hi..
>
>when running gmplayer, the following error appears:
>
>[waldyd at Aire-i waldyd]$ gmplayer highgear.wmv
>MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.2.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
>CPU: Intel Pentium III Katmai/Pentium III Xeon Tanner
>(Family: 6, Stepping: 3)
>Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
>CPUflags:  MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1
>SSE2: 0
>Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE
>

>vo: X11 running at 800x600 with depth 24 and 32 bpp
>(":0.0" => local display)
>Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (it
>should be readable by the user.)
>
>How can i solve this?

as root
    chmod a+r /dev/rtc
I believe I've also seen this with multiple occurances
of mplayer.  First thread may tie up /dev/rtc.  Not
absolutely sure about that.  On gentoo if you kill mplayer
a zombie mplayer thread stays around to haunt the system.
You can see if this is the case with
    ps -aef | grep mplayer
after killing mplayer, with a mplayer thread showing
up as still alive, then
    killall mplayer
I haven't seen the zombie problem with gmplayer on
gentoo.