[MPlayer-users] Mplayer and /dev/video

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Apr 28 06:33:16 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 19:06:58 +0400
_null_ _null_ <_null_ at mail.ru> wrote:

> The only way to watch it from Linux is `cat /dev/video0 > file.mpg` or
> `mplayer /dev/video0`. Mplayer is just great and it works! I modified
> Mplayer to show the movie and then save it to file.

I'm at a complete loss to understand why you would do it this way.  Why
not just output it to disk, and then use mplayer to view the file on
disk?  Not only does it solve your problem, it also allows you to
rewind, pause, etc.

I have the 250, and I use 'dd' rather than 'cat' to record from the
card, because that cat command quits after the file reaches 2GB...