[MPlayer-users] capturing and seeking

keithcsl at ihug.co.nz keithcsl at ihug.co.nz
Mon Aug 1 13:29:08 CEST 2005

Hi rcooley

Thank you for your response. This is the mencoder command I
am using:

mencoder tv:// -tv
driver=v4l:device=/dev/video0:norm=pal:input=0:noaudio -ovc
lavc -lavcopts vcodec=msmpeg4v2 -o capture.mpg

For playback I am using:
mplayer capture.mpg

Now, with:
mplayer -ss 30 capture.mpg

it does not seek to 30 secs accurately. As a workaround, I
am temporarily converting to MJPEG:

mencoder -oav copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -o
capture-temp.mpg capture.mpg

mplayer -ss 30 capture-temp.mpg

I want to keep the msmpeg4v2 (alternative is mpeg), but also
want seeking.

Regards
Keith