[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Mon Aug 1 18:47:48 CEST 2005

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 11:43:00 -0400
Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:

> Good strong encryption algorithm are the ones that although the
> algorithm is already known, the only way to decrypt the data is
> having the key. For these kind of algorithms there is no known
> attack, and brute force attack would requires many months or years to
> find the key.

To play encrypted content, your player must have the key embedded into
it. There's no method of encryption which allows decryption
without posessing a key.   On the firmware, or in the binaries, the
key can only be obfusticated, so the player can use it, while trying to
keep it hidden.  They certainly aren't going to be requiring smart-
cards in hardware players to keep the private key safe.

Methods to dencrypt next-gen DVDs will surely be available, the
question is how long will it take, and how aggressively will they fight
it.  Are they willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater--
making entire brands of hardware players useless with future discs, just
because someone was able to extract the key from the firmware?

I certainly hope everyone will hold-off on buying any encrypted
material until the DRM is thoroughly cracked.