[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Mon Aug 1 21:58:11 CEST 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 02:12:36PM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:

> > > Heavily protected? Any cryptography where the attacker has the key is
> > > not heavily protected, it's just basic obscuring/obfuscation and will
> > > be cracked in no time, just like CSS.
> >
> > That's completly false. You are talking only about weak encription
> > algorithms like CSS. CSS was a "secret" algorithm. Once people understood
> > how it was working (knowing some keys) they found how weak it was
> > and how to guess the keys analizing the encrypted data (what libdvdcss does).
>
> You fucking didn't read what I wrote. If you can play the movie, YOU
> HAVE THE KEY. DRM/"content protection" is always obfuscation, not
> cryptography.

It seems that I make you angry, because you start insulting people.

Anyway I read what you wrote. I just want to remember you that CSS
was not cracked in no time. It took some years after the introduction of
the DVD technology, and the crackers succeed because they found a key not
obfuscated in a software player.
In your statement you say that knowing a key "will make the cryptography
be cracked in no time"
That's only valid if the encryption algorithm is weak.

Giacomo