[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Aug 4 18:49:56 CEST 2005

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:45:24 -0400
Giacomo Comes <comes at naic.edu> wrote:

> Well let's take another example. What about CPPM? It's around since
> 5 years. It is an improvement on CSS. The keys are on the disk.
> Why it has not been cracked yet (and I KNOW that it has been recently
> compromised)? Because nobody cares about music?

Because nobody cares about DVD-Audio.  There are few if any people
that can actually hear the difference between CDs and DVD-Audio (or
SACD), and even if their ears are good enough, it's unlikely many of
them spend thousands of dollars on extreme high-end equipment that can
reproduce DVD-Audio accurately enough.

Besides, you don't really need to defeat the DRM on audio discs do
you?  Hooking the digital line-out (from a DVD player) to the digital
line-in (on a PC, with a 24-bit soundcard) should give you a bit-for-bit
identical copy in realtime (minus the DRM).  Video requires digital-
analog-digital conversion for the same thing, so that's not as
practical with video.