[MPlayer-users] mplayer's jack name

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Aug 18 03:48:43 CEST 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 03:06, etienne deleflie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Jack .....  which seems to work (reasonably) with Mplayer...
> although if I move any of the windows on my screen (even non-Mplayer
> ones) Mplayer dies instantly. (could be a Jack RT problem, dont know).

Post a full bug-report, MPlayer's output, etc. See:

http://www2.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html

IIRC Reimar did some Jack stuff a while ago so maybe he'll take a look at
it.

> Anyway, ..... my issue is that Mplayer advertises its Jack connections
> as "Mplayer [2032]" ... with what seems to be the PID in square
> brackets. This is actually not good because it means that I can not
> pre-configure my Jack connections since I dont know what the PID of
> Mplayer is going to be.
>
> Using qjackctl, it is possible to define (in an XML file) what jack
> inputs are connected to what jack outputs. This is extremeley usefull if
> one is booting up multiple jack apps all interconnected. .... all the
> connections automatically hook up to each other.
>
> Mplayer seems to be the only app which uses its PID as its Jack name,
> and this means that the Jack connections all have to be manually
> connected everytime.

As I don't use Jack, what would you suggest to be a good client name? Maybe
make it configurable from the command line, like:

mplayer -ao jack:clientname=foobar ... etc...

And fall back to "MPlayer [PID]" if none is specified, so people can still
launch multiple instances of mplayer -ao jack without client name
collision. What do you think? This would be easy to implement.

--Ivo