[MPlayer-users] mplayer's jack name

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Thu Aug 18 04:56:51 CEST 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 04:12, Kevin DeKorte wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 07:48 pm, Ivo wrote:
> > And fall back to "MPlayer [PID]" if none is specified, so people can
> > still launch multiple instances of mplayer -ao jack without client name
> > collision. What do you think? This would be easy to implement.
>
> What if you just tried using a connection name of
>
> mplayer-01
> mplayer-02
> mplayer-99
>
> until you found a connection that would be free. That way the name would
> be at least predictable.

That could be done, but what if a stray/zombie MPlayer -ao jack is running
and you start your chain of interconnected Jack-aware applications which
include MPlayer? Say, for example, that includes two MPlayer instances. You
might assume (predict) those will connect as mplayer-01 and mplayer-02, but
in fact they will connect as mplayer-02 and mplayer-03 (mplayer-01 is
already taken). As I see it, it's the most predictable when you specify the
client name on the command line. That way, you can be sure how it's called.
Unless a previous run of that same chain left something running, but in
that case you're out of luck with either implementation. In that case it
would be the best if MPlayer sets up it's connections to jack with whatever
client name it gets through (current implementation is fairly good at
that), prints an INFO line to stdout and have the rest of your boot up
script(s) scan MPlayer's output for that line, parse it and act upon it.

--Ivo