[MPlayer-users] Gxf file format

Sebastian Schäfer Sebastian.Schaefer at ropa.de
Thu Aug 18 17:42:44 CEST 2005

Hi list!

I got some files here which definitely are video files (D-Cinema videos), but unfortunately I can't play them.
This is the list of files:

        61.494.832 THX_Science_FLT_1920.302
               678 THX_Science_FLT_1920.cpo
       239.328.576 THX_Science_FLT_1920.gxf
               628 THX_Science_FLT_1920.smil
               720 THX_Science_FLT_1920.sqc

The .smil file seems to be an "index" file which tells the D-Cinema system where to look for video and audio.
The .302 file is the audio file according to that .smil file.
The .cpo file contains the same as the .smil
The .gxf file is the video. Gspot identifies it as an MPEG-2 stream. According to Google .gxf seems to be the General eXchange Format, a container which can transport audio and video in a multiplexed way, encoded with at least JPEG and MPEG.

This is what mplayer prints out when I try to play the .gxf:

MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP/XP-M Barton (Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf doesn't look like a font description, ignoring.
Cannot load font: c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf
Playing C:\thx-dvd\THX_Science_FLT_1920.gxf.
H264-ES file format detected.
FPS not specified in the header or invalid, use the -fps option.
No stream found.

Exiting... (End of file)

This is mplayer's output when trying to play the .302 file:

MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP/XP-M Barton (Family: 6, Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf doesn't look like a font description, ignoring.
Cannot load font: c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf
Playing C:\thx-dvd\THX_Science_FLT_1920.302.
TiVo file format detected.
MPEG: No audio stream found -> no sound.
MPEG: FATAL: EOF while searching for sequence header.
Video: Cannot read properties.
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: init_audio_codec
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

Has anybody had any experience with this kind of files? Or does at least know where I can get a converter to regular MPEG-2?

I will upload these files tomorrow to my server, so that all of you can have a look at them.
Many thanks in advance...

--
Sebastian Schäfer
ropa GmbH & Co. KG