[MPlayer-users] Getting started on apple

Ben Ricker ben.ricker at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 20:42:34 CEST 2005

If you want to mess with the install and enjoy command line tinkering,
then by all means use th responses have gotten recently.

However, if you just want it to get done, download MplayerOSX, a great
GUI front end to mplayer/mencoder. Also check out VLC which is behind
MplayerOSX in development but is coming along nicely.

Ben Ricker

On 8/20/05, m at de-minimis.co.uk <m at de-minimis.co.uk> wrote:

> Test the first:  Is there a really simple step by step guide for how to set up
> mplayer on an apple?
>
> I downloaded the apple precompiled binary from
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html
>
> and played a teency silent mpg - no problem.
>
> I then tried to play a full length DVD so I launched mplayer at the VIDEO_TS
> directory of the film.  The player didn't like it.  I looked in the log.  The
> final line read:
>
> > The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
>
> I couldn't see any indication of what was meant by video_out device.  Do some
> codecs convert a film into something that can be thrown at x11 and others
> convert it into something that the standard apple windowing system can
> understand, whatever the standard apple windowing system is?
>
> Anyway, I then went to download the "essential codecs" from the same site
> mentioned above.  But the text before the download link says that the codecs
> come as binaries - which surely means that a codec for debian linux running on
> x86 hardware isn't going to work on my G4 OSX ?  Hence the request for the step
> by step guide, just to get my feet on the ground and some examples working.
>
> Regards, Max

Ben Ricker
He's just this guy, you know?