[MPlayer-users] Sending mplayer from one computer to another

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Tue Aug 23 17:28:31 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 15:08, Piszcz, Justin wrote:
> You could do this but:
>
> 1) You need at least 7MB/s for regular mpeg2 video.
> 2) You would need to setup NAS (network audio sound) and it does not
> work well unless you have really high performance boxes.
>
> In short, it is not worth it.

Hmm, I've done exactly that with 100Mbit network cards, a 1200MHz Athlon and
700MHz Duron machine and it worked flawlessly  (GF2 card in machine that
displays the image with Xv). There's a slight a/v-desync, but it's
constant, so can easily be adjusted with -delay. Also, you need to open up
the X server for connections from the machine that's playing the file
(xhost +somelocalmachine). I can play DVD's on one machine, route the
graphics and sound to another and have it display on tv-out and watch it in
the living room.

--Ivo