[MPlayer-users] Sending mplayer from one computer to another

Martin Collins martin at mkcollins.org
Tue Aug 23 17:26:48 CEST 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 06:05:51 -0700 (PDT)
Peach Gordon <grp_chill at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone out there could tell me how
> to send a shell command for mplayer on one computer
> and have the mplayer window play on the other.

Your question is a little ambiguous but if you want to run and display
mplayer on computer A but control it from computer B then ssh from B
to A and type

 DISPLAY=A:0.0 mplayer ...

If you want to run and control mplayer on A but display it on B then
on A type

 DISPLAY=B:0.0 mplayer ...

However you will need a fast network and probably NAS for the sound.
You will also have to arrange X authentication to allow you to do
this. The easiest but least secure way is to use the xhost command.

This technique is common to every X program so there should be no
shortage of info on the net.

Martin