[MPlayer-users] Mplayer doesn't compile

Tor Olav Stava t-ol-sta at online.no
Fri Aug 26 10:18:06 CEST 2005

RC wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:49:29 +0200
>Tor Olav Stava <t-ol-sta at online.no> wrote:
>

>>Maybe not the cause of the roubles, but I discovered during my LFS/
>>BLFS build that installing the drivers from NVidia will brake the
>>build of MPlayer. Reason is that NVidia replaces a few GL header
>>files.
>>

>Odd...  I use the nvidia drivers, and compile MPlayer with GL
>support.  Not one problem as of yet.  Is this a change in very
>recent versions of the NVidia driver?

Yes, that's odd.. :) I didn't investigate much further, just blamed
NVidia, hehe. Tried compiling MPlayer without NVidia drivers, and no
problems. But after installing the drivers, I had to disable GL support
to get MPlayer compiled. Maybe someone has delved deeper into this? I
don't really need GL for MPlayer, so I didn't bother more with it..

>Slightly off the subject, but I find that NVidia's drivers get a bad
>wrap, as they end-up being the canary in the coal mine.  If your
>hardware is buggy, a failing video driver is usually the first visible
>clue... If your Linux system/kernel is poorly configured, the video
>driver may be the first program you install which exhibits problems.
>etc.

Well, I've heard a lot of negative talk about NVidia drivers, but
they've worked very well for me, except for compiling MPlayer. Trouble
is to get any support anywhere in the Linux community when the kernel is
marked tainted by NVidia. Don't really like their closed-source
mentality, but what can we do? I'm in no way capable of writing an
open-source driver for these cards, so just have to live with it, for
now.. Enough off topic, I think. Will jump to another mailing list. ;)

Tor Olav