[MPlayer-users] Mplayer doesn't compile

Tor Olav Stava t-ol-sta at online.no
Fri Aug 26 11:29:11 CEST 2005

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

>Hi,
>On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 01:00:54AM -0700, RC wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:49:29 +0200
>>Tor Olav Stava <t-ol-sta at online.no> wrote:
>>

>>>Maybe not the cause of the roubles, but I discovered during my LFS/
>>>BLFS build that installing the drivers from NVidia will brake the
>>>build of MPlayer. Reason is that NVidia replaces a few GL header
>>>files.
>>>

>The headers in the 7667 package have cause no trouble so far, though I
>have deleted the headers from Mesa first (the ones in
>/usr/X11R6/include, the nVidia ones go into /usr/inlcude it seems).

Seems I was a bit quick there.. ;) It didn't replace any header files,
but libraries. This is the file list for the NVidia driver install:
  /lib/modules/2.6.12.3/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko
  /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1
  /usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.7667
  /usr/lib/libGL.so
  /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
  /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.7667
  /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1
  /usr/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7667
  /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1
  /usr/lib/tls/libnvidia-tls.so.1.0.7667
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glext.h
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/gl.h
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glxext.h
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/glx.h
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/NVIDIA_Changelog
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/nvidia-settings-user-guide.txt
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/README.txt
  /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/XF86Config.sample
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.a
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA_dynamic.so.1
  /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMCNVIDIA.so.1.0.7667
  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so
  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.so.1.0.7667

(I've used the package-user management for LFS to know if the install
replaced any files. Couldn't use the shipped install from NVidia doing
that, as it needs to be install as root).
I'll try compiling MPlayer again to see if NVidia still breaks the
build. I guess installing the drivers as non-root saved me this time,
coz the header files really got replaced during my last install.

excerpt from the NVidia FAQ:

    OpenGL and GLX header files (/usr/include/GL/gl.h,
    /usr/include/GL/glext.h, /usr/include/GL/glx.h, and
    /usr/include/GL/glext.h); these are also installed in
    /usr/share/doc/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0/include/GL/. You can request that these
    files not be included in /usr/include/GL/ by passing the
    "--no-opengl-headers" option to the .run file during installation.

>>Slightly off the subject, but I find that NVidia's drivers get a bad
>>wrap, as they end-up being the canary in the coal mine.  If your
>>hardware is buggy, a failing video driver is usually the first visible
>>clue... If your Linux system/kernel is poorly configured, the video
>>driver may be the first program you install which exhibits problems.
>>etc.
>>

>Even without that there are enough bugs left. That in itself is not the
>problem (I guess we all know how many bugs there are in MPlayer and
>still like it), but I am very uncomfortable with the fact that the kernel
>module is so huge and that almost all of it is closed source. I am
>certain at least this could be done better.

Well, I'm only using MPlayer for my videos, and I love it. Keep it up! :-D

Tor Olav