[MPlayer-users] Is S-Video and external monitor limited by laptop's graphics card's max resolution.

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Sat Aug 27 10:55:21 CEST 2005

Reshat Sabiq wrote:

> I'm considering buying a ze2000t, which has Accelerator 900, w/ max
> resolution of 1024x768.
>
> The only limitation on ze2000t that i'm seeing is 1024x768 resolution.
> AFAIK, it also means that S-Video, and external monitors will be
> limited to this resolution. Not a big deal, but i guess 16:9 DVDs
> won't be nicely viewable on a widescreen TV from this laptop. Is this
> correct?
>
> If yes, i'll think about another model, which has a 14'' screen at
> 1280x768. I guess one will be more conducive to mostly
> enterntainment-based usage.
>
> P.S. I do remember the talk about 4:3 being better for regular use.
> This is for a gift, and usage will be mostly non-business.
> I finally understand the laptop aspect ratios. :)
> E.g., HP:
> 14''   16:9
> 15''   4:3
> 15.4''   1.6 (in the middle of the two standard modes)
> I didn't even pay attention to this when i bought my 15.4'' laptop
> last year, but it's good balance between the 2, as it should allow
> 16:9 S-Video, and 1.6 or 4:3 business use.
>
> Thanks.

Just tried using my laptop graphics card w/ VGA monitor which has higher
max resolution than the laptop. I was able to set my desktop to
1280x1024 from my laptop, even though laptop only supports 1280x800.
This worked on both Windows and Linux, although i never set up dual-view
on Linux, so this wasn't dual-view.

At the same time, Windows showed only 5 out 7 resolution choices which
the desktop showed for the same VGA.

So i guess the graphics cards are likely to support a higher resolution
than the max on the laptop, but also may only support a subset of, say,
a VGA's resolutions. Haven't tried S-Video, as i don't own a TV. :)

My question then is: how likely is a 15'' laptop w/ max resolution of
1024x768 to be able to display DVDs using S-Video on an HDTV at 1280x768
(assuming the HDTV can handle it, which i believe many brands do)? If
it's not very likely, then i'll probably lean towards buying 14''
1280x768 one.

Thanks.