[MPlayer-users] Is S-Video and external monitor limited by laptop's graphics card's max resolution.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Aug 27 21:34:10 CEST 2005

Hi,
On Sat, Aug 27, 2005 at 02:02:15PM -0500, Reshat Sabiq wrote:
> Could you enlighten on what is the standard PAL/NTSC resolution for
> TV-Out? Or at least is it in 4:3 aspect ratio, or some some other AR?

The ones usually cited are:
720x576    PAL
720x480    NTSC

Those are used on DVD I think. But a TV actually has no such thing as
"horizontal resolution", since it is a continuous signal.
When you use e.g. a LCD these are scaled to give a 4:3 image, i.e.
768x576 for PAL.
I have no idea how widescreen detection and displaying are done (could
it be that the black borders are detected and the rest is scaled up? That
would mean that widescreen has worse quality since it wastes "pixels"
for the black bars).
A quick google search seem to indicate that for displaying HDTV either
special connectors or DVI is used? Well, I have never seen a HDTV TV...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger