[MPlayer-users] mencoder and the bt878 card

discord psientist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 19:14:28 CEST 2005

Hello,

I seem to be having trouble using mencoder to capture video on my
computer. I am able to watch video using tvtime. I am using the
composite input on my card. When I look at the modules the card it looks
like im using v4l2. I notice a msg about v4l backwards compatibility
being broken when I try using this command from the manpage

mencoder  -tv driver=v4l:width=640:height=480 tv://-o tv.avi

File not found: 'frameno.avi'
Failed to open frameno.avi
success: format: 9  data: 0x0 - 0x0
TV detected! ;-)
Selected driver: v4l
 name: Video 4 Linux input
 author: Alex Beregszaszi
 comment: under development
 WARNING: YOU ARE USING V4L DEMUXER WITH V4L2 DRIVERS!!!
 As the V4L1 compatibility layer is broken, this may not work.
 If you encounter any problems, use driver=v4l2 instead.
 Bugreports on driver=v4l with v4l2 drivers will be ignored.
Selected device: BT878 video (ATI TV-Wonder)
 Capabilites: capture tuner overlay clipping scales
 Device type: 171
 Supported sizes: 48x32 => 768x480
 Inputs: 3
  0: Television: tuner audio tv camera  (tuner:1, norm:ntsc)
  1: Composite1: audio camera  (tuner:0, norm:ntsc)
  2: S-Video: audio camera  (tuner:0, norm:ntsc)
audio block size too low, setting to 16384!
Using input 'Television'
ioctl get tuner failed: Invalid argument
Tuner isn't capable to set norm!
Error: Cannot set norm!
Segmentation fault

I would like to use the Composite1 input but I do not know how to select
it. I looked at the manual but didnt see an option to select the input.

I have also tried using v4l2 driver as recomended from the message and
it will record but all i get is a fuzzy tv screen.

mencoder -oac copy tv://R8 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video -tv
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:fps=30:norm=NTSC -o
tv.avi

maybe I am not selecting the composite input? Anyways maybe someone can
help me figure out how to get it to work. Tv time is working.

Thanks

Colin