[MPlayer-users] mplayer not maintaining aspect ratio in fullscreen mode

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Thu Dec 1 10:49:26 CET 2005

Michael Salcher wrote:
> I find that the aspect ratio does not change when resizing the window
> when running "mplayer". But it does change when resizing the window when
> using "gmplayer".
> Any ideas?

I'm not familiar with GMplayer, since all I use is the command line, but
perhaps gmplayer uses a different monitoraspect?

1280x1024 is a sad thing for display, if you're using a CRT, you have to
specify monitoraspect 4:3 (default), if you're using a TFT, you most
likely have to specify 5:4, otherwise playing in fullscreen will result
in slightly distorted (i.e. too tall) images. Playing a Fullscreen
(1.33:1) movie on a TFT with 1280x1024 should have black bars below and
above!

I don't know if monitoraspect is handled if no fullscreen is used, so it
might well be that you're using a TFT with 5:4 screen and have not
specified a monitoraspect (for gmplayer or mplayer) and when going to
fullscreen mplayer thinks it's 4:3 (its default setting) and distributes
the image over the entire screen (which is not correct in this case).

cheers,
Alex