[MPlayer-users] In an NTSC world, can DVD drive play non-NTSC discs?

n0dalus n0dalus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 05:34:39 CET 2005

On 12/2/05, Alphonsu Pugh <alupu at verizon.net> wrote:
> For reference:
>  i686-pc-linux-gnu, kernel 2.6.14
>  MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.3
>  Pioneer DVD-ROM ATAPI Model DVD-117 0104
>  nVIDIA GeForce FX5500
>  XFree86-4.5, nvidia driver "nv"
>  19in. LCD monitor, SONY SDM-S94, 1280x1024, DVI-D connected
>  USA, NTSC
>
> Everything works perfectly. Thanks.
>
> QUESTION:
>  Assuming
>   - no problems with the Region Code
>   - same output device (i.e. the PC monitor above, NOT a TV set),
>
> can my DVD-ROM play a non-NTSC, regular (original) DVD,
>    say a Hungarian (SECAM?) or a German (PAL) movie disc?
>
> Thank you very much.

Where I live it's a PAL world (tm), but I can still play NTSC discs
fine. If your DVD-ROM can access the disc, any decent software will
play it no matter what the format is.
I guess the only way to really find out though is to play it on your
particular hardware/software combination and see if it works. I'd be
surprised if you encountered any problems.

n0dalus.