[MPlayer-users] tv hang

ilab ilab at freemail.hu
Sun Dec 4 23:11:14 CET 2005

Hi,

I have been watching tv with kdetv so far, but I need to record some stuff
 for which I planned to use mencoder. So I am trying to use mplayer for
 watching tv first.

I have faced the problem that I have decent quality picture, but no sound. I
have found this issue in the list archive and on google too, but no solution
yet.

So, I have both picture and sound with kdetv.

I have picture with mplayer (tv2 from hungary):
mplayer tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:device=/dev/video0:fps=25:width=768:height=576:
outfmt=yuy2:norm=PAL:normid=2:brightness=60:contrast=25:saturation=100:
hue=50:amode=0:freq=559.25

But mplayer just says
	Audio: no sound
	Starting playback...
And true, there is no sound at all.

I dont see anything in the verbose output using  -v -v -v switches that could
describe why I dont have sound.

If I append :forceaudio:immediatemode to the switches then I can hear the
sound recorded by the mic with about 2 seconds delay. Strange, but it doesnt
matter if I switch off the capture of mic in alsamixer, the only way to get
rid of this is switching off the capture channel (and doesnt matter whether
the capture of aux is on or off).

I use
blabla:~$ mplayer
MPlayer SuSE Linux 10.0 (i686)-Packman-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
and I think there is almost all relevant information in this line :)

I use alsa + oss emulation.
Xmms works with both alsa and oss sound systems so the problem is definitely
not a blocked /dev/dsp or something like that.

I would highly appreciate any help :)

Thanx in advance,
ilab