[MPlayer-users] deinterlacing?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Wed Dec 7 02:59:03 CET 2005

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 18:25:04 +0100
Thomas Zehetbauer <thomasz at hostmaster.org> wrote:

> From what I have read it appears that interlaced PAL videos are in
> fact  288 * 720 @ 50Hz

No, it's 768x576 at 50Hz or (could be called) 768x288 at 50fps.

> and it looks like that the deinterlacing  filters in postprocessing
> basically throw away and interpolate every  second line.

Not all of them.

> Which other deinterlacing filters do you use/recommend?

"kerndeint" is suggested often, but for it I would suggest specifying
a threshold of 40 or so.

Several of us prefer the output of "pp=lb" (and don't mind the
ghosting).

tfields will output half-height, double framerate video as you want, but
only for (re)encoding with the proper options, not live playback.

Then there's everyone's favorite deinterlacer...  field=0  :-)