[MPlayer-users] Error: Cannot seek backwards

Magnus Karlsson magnus.m.karlsson at spray.se
Wed Dec 7 17:57:52 CET 2005

Hi,

 From time to time I encounter the below error when trying to play
regular media-files. Any clues? Is the size of the file the issue? It's
about 4,4GB and I am about to compress it using mencoder.

Regards,
Magnus

D:\Files\MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre7\mplayer>mplayer "\Movie\WinFast
WorkArea\Video1
207-1607(TV36).mpg"
MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.4.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 9)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection.

c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf doesn't look like a font description, ignoring.
Cannot load font: c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf
Playing \Movie\WinFast WorkArea\Video1207-1607(TV36).mpg.
Cannot seek backward in linear streams!
Seek failed

MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in
DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We
can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a
possible bug.

D:\Files\MPlayer-mingw32-1.0pre7\mplayer>