[MPlayer-users] Re: How to sharpen the decoded images

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Dec 10 00:37:03 CET 2005

On Friday, 09 December 2005 at 18:53, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 11:24:58AM +0100, R.Ivarson wrote:
> > Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> >
> > (..)
> > >Try unsharp=l3x3:1
> > >play with options to get desirable results.
> >
> > Hi Vladimir!
> >
> > Thanks for this good tip. Adding the following line to my config file
> >   vf-add=unsharp=l3x3:1
> > does exactly what I've been searching for! Now Mplayer's even nicer to look
> > at. :-)
> >
> > Lovely. All the best,
>
> Actually it's very ugly, like any linear filter. But if your eyes are
> naive enough to keep thinking it looks good, enjoy while you can! :)

What would you recommend instead? I have some anime which is very badly
encoded (no, not Slayers ;)) and I'd like to recompress it using some
heavy pp and hqdn3d filtering, which leaves the image kind of... soft, so
I need to sharpen it up a bit. And yes, I know it's a bad idea to start
with, but please bear with me.

R.