[MPlayer-users] Re: How to sharpen the decoded images

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sun Dec 11 15:07:58 CET 2005

Am Samstag, 10. Dezember 2005 04:32 schrieb Jan Knutar:
> On Saturday 10 December 2005 01:37, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski
wrote:
> > encoded (no, not Slayers ;)) and I'd like to recompress it using some
> > heavy pp and hqdn3d filtering, which leaves the image kind of...
> > soft, so
>
> In my tests, uspp=3 provided the best visual quality when
> postprocessing mpeg4 content (this was before uspp was set to use snow
> rather than mpeg4).
>[...]
> I put a few snapshots of the same frame of a very low bitrate mpeg4,
> with varying postprocess filters here:
> http://gamma.nic.fi/~jknutar1/postprocess/

Hm, uspp=3 seems to reduce the colour saturation (look at the lower right
side of the face). pp7.png seems to be much nearer to the original.

Even the psnr values show this:
mw at MW-Notebook:~/del/mplayer_pp> pnmpsnr original.pnm pp7.pnm
pnmpsnr: PSNR between original.pnm and pp7.pnm:
pnmpsnr: Y  color component: 40.03 dB
pnmpsnr: Cb color component: 51.79 dB
pnmpsnr: Cr color component: 51.23 dB
mw at MW-Notebook:~/del/mplayer_pp> pnmpsnr original.pnm uspp3.pnm
pnmpsnr: PSNR between original.pnm and uspp3.pnm:
pnmpsnr: Y  color component: 38.51 dB
pnmpsnr: Cb color component: 43.79 dB
pnmpsnr: Cr color component: 43.33 dB

> I hope the filenames are self-explanatory.

Have you done snapshots for -vf pp=de and -vf pp=ac, too?

Regards,
  Matthias