[MPlayer-users] lavf demuxer

Ryan Olf ryan at efrus.com
Tue Dec 13 20:56:29 CET 2005

On Tuesday 13 December 2005 09:07 am, The Wanderer wrote:
> (quoting reordered for my sanity's sake)
>
> Please don't top-post.
>
> Ryan Olf wrote:

> >> All together now--read the bug reporting guidelines.
> >>
> >> Or at least tell me this:
> >>
> >> 1.) What's the file
> >> 2.) What's the system
> >
> > Yeah, *thanks*. I thought that maybe a simple question could get a
> > simple answer, or at least AN answer. I posted a few days ago with
> > the subject: lavf demuxer 64bit problem? including all the relevant
> > information, and got no replies, so I thought I'd try something
> > simple, coax average joe user into revealing his/her experience. I
> > thought, maybe all the details turned people away. If you want the
> > details, you can see that email in the archives:
> >
> > http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051210.105528.7c873386.en.html
>
> For what it's worth, the reason I didn't respond to that message is
> because I don't have a 64-bit system and so am not in a position to so
> much as test it, much less try to do anything about it. I imagine the
> same is true of quite a number of others, as well.
>
> I've just grabbed the first of the two files you linked to in the
> above-referenced post, however, and it is likewise played at 90000 fps
> even on my own 32-bit system. This is (probably) not a libavformat
> problem, however; the file is played back at the correct speed by
> ffplay, which is FFmpeg's internal bare-bones media player and obviously
> uses libavformat for demuxing. Unless the bug was introduced into
> libavformat in the time since I last updated ffplay - i.e., since the
> 9th of this month - it must in fact lie somewhere else.
>
> 'mplayer -identify' reports the file as having a frame rate of 90000
> fps, so it's not surprising that it is played back at that rate. ffmpeg
> itself reports the file as having a frame rate of 29.97 (-> 30000/1001)
> fps. The bug is somewhere in MPlayer - at a first guess, somewhere in
> demux_lavf.c.
>
> I would guess, in the absence of further information, that the
> difference between the 64-bit and 32-bit versions you ran was that they
> were built on different versions of the source tree - not actually
> compiled from the same source. Obtaining and compiling the source of the
> version which gave you correct playback would probably let you play the
> file normally. In any case, knowing the exact version string of that
> copy of MPlayer would probably help narrow down the change which caused
> the problem.

So the framerate issue is a bug in the newer CVS versions?  The file.ts plays
just fine under MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.4, but gives insane framerate values
for MPlayer dev-CVS-051130-13:28-3.4.4.

What about file2.ts?  It won't play under any versions of mplayer (with lavf
demuxer) that I have, 32bit or otherwise.  It plays under default demuxer.

Thanks for looking in to this,
Ryan