[MPlayer-users] Creating mp4-files for Apples' ipod with MPlayer

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Dec 15 18:31:47 CET 2005

Michael Scholz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Is there a way to create MPEG4-Files (mp4, framesize 320x200) from
> any video input stream/file/etc. with MPlayer that will be accepted
> by the iPod and its software? So far I've been unsuccessfully,
> unfortunately. All the video files I created were considered invalid
> (although playable by almost any video player software) by Apple's
> software.
>
> Does anybody know?

MP4 is not MPEG-4; it is a variant on the MOV container. Unless I'm
mistaken, MPEG-4 is not itself a container, but only a codec (or rather,
a family of codecs).

MPlayer normally outputs into the AVI container. To output to the MP4
container (or soome variant thereon), you need to add the '-of lavf'
option to your command line and make sure that the output file has the
extension 'mp4'.

If you're already doing that and there are still problems, then in order
for any of us to be able to help you you will probably have to provide
(copy-and-paste, do not retype!) the exact command line you are using to
encode and the full, un-snipped output of MEncoder.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.