[MPlayer-users] Creating mp4-files for Apples' ipod with MPlayer

bond b-o-n-d at gmx.net
Fri Dec 16 02:00:24 CET 2005

.mp4 is not a "proprieatary apple container". its the official container
defined in mpeg-4 and supported in a lot of tools already

> 2005/12/15, Michael Scholz <Michael_Scholz at hotmail.com>:
> > Is there a way to create MPEG4-Files (mp4, framesize 320x200) from any
video
> > input stream/file/etc. with MPlayer that will be accepted by the iPod
and
> > its software? So far I've been unsuccessfully, unfortunately. All the
video
> > files I created were considered invalid (although playable by almost any
> > video player software) by Apple's software.
> >
> > Does anybody know?
> I have such an iPod and tried around a little bit. The sad thing is,
> Apple doesnt like the mp4- and mov-containers libavformat (-of lavf)
> produces. There seem to be some "atoms" (metadata) missing or
> different, from what Apple wants.

libavformat does NOT produce 100% spec compliant .mp4 files and its
therefore no surprise strict tools like qt and the ipod dont like these
files

i listed all open issues with libav .mp4 here in case someone wants to fix
them:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=999556&group_id=16082&atid=116082

> A crew called MobileHackerz have a modified FFmpeg to produce
> Apple-able mp4-containers, This hack is used by the
> Videora-Ipod-converter to create videos.

their patched ffmpeg from here:
http://www.nurs.or.jp/~calcium/3gpp/sources/
http://www.nurs.or.jp/~calcium/3gpp/AVCTest-051030-2.zip

fixes the following important problems:
1) asp:
"- something doesnt seem to be correct in
esds.decConfigDescr.decSpecificInfo.info. i am not sure but it
seems as if it isnt set at all, which has to be the case!
the missing decspecificinfo.info only seems to be the case
when muxing raw part2 video to .mp4
when encoding with mpeg-4 to .mp4 its written"

muxing/encoding creates it now

2) avc:
"- the mandatory and very important avcC atom is missing"

muxing/encoding creates it now

the rest is still not fixed

> You can use vlc though. It produces containers that are accepted by
> Quicktime and the iPod.

last time i tested vlc, it also didnt create 100% spec compliant .mp4 files

the freely available tools able to create real spec compliant .mp4 files are
mp4creator from the mpeg4ip project and mp4box from the gpac project