[MPlayer-users] Trouble with Mp3 audio in MP4 containers

WireSpot wirespot at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 10:48:31 CET 2005

I'm having a problem described once before by someone on the list:
http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051106.140616.760437b4.en.html

Problem: with certain MP4 containers, with track 1 = X264 video and
track 2 = MP3 audio, I get audio artefacts (all kinds of blips, snaps
and "water splashes") and sequences repeat themselves over and over
several times before moving on. The sync is generally good, but
riddled with these problems.

I use the latest CVS for MPlayer and libx264, compiled this weekend.
Please tell me if there's any more info I can add (-v output, trace).

Using OSS or ALSA doesn't seem to make a difference.

I used the latest stable mp4creator from mpeg4ip to try and remux the
files. Unfortunately it can extract the tracks, but it doesn't seem
capable to reinsert the video tracks back in containers (unrecognized
format???).

I resumed to extracting, deleting and reinserting the audio track, but
the problem became worse (the artefacts where gone but the repeats
became much more extensive). I tried several extra options that
mp4creator offers (interleaving, optimizing and such).

Interesting thing: if I play the mp3 extracted with mp4creator, it
sounds fine. If I use -dumpaudio with mencoder and convert the dump to
wav (with lame), it has all the artefacts and repeats.

I thought of remuxing to MKV but at the moment mkvtoolnix from CVS
failes to compile for me, although libebml and libmatroska do.

I also tried muxing with mencoder with "-oac copy -ovc copy
-audiofile" from the video and audio track, but the resulting AVI has
bad A/V sync and crashes MPlayer.

I can always transcode the video into some other codec, but that kind
of defies the whole purpose of X264, not to mention it would take lots
of time and possibly look worse.