[MPlayer-users] Interlaced playback?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Dec 19 12:18:44 CET 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 06:08:59AM -0500, Sasha Z wrote:
> On 12/18/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> > On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 05:54:55PM -0500, Sasha Z wrote:
> > > Well, playing back the progressive content in interlaced mode gives me
> > > moving discolored bars where screen refreshes don't occur as they're
> > > supposed to. When running a progressive display everything is fine.
> >
> > You need to explain a lot better than this since what you're saying is
> > not making sense. What is "playing back progressive content in
> > interlaced mode"? MPlayer has no interlaced mode. Are you talking
> > about your video card's settings..? Or..??
> >
> > Also please don't top-post.
>
> I can't explain better, so I'll try and rephrase instead. I have a
> video card. That video card is running X in interlaced mode, driving a
> 1080i CRT. I have stored content in files that is not interlaced
> content that I want to display on the interlaced screen. When I simply
> play the non interlaced files with mplayer on an xv surface on my
> interlaced screen, there are dark bands that somewhat resemble what
> you see if you look at a screen through a camcorder and the refresh
> timings are out of sync.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, this is just the nature of interlacing.
It sucks.

> So I'm asking how do I get mplayer to properly sync up with the video
> card's refresh timings when running in interlaced mode in X.

As long as you're using xv with an overlay, the refresh is already
synced and the output you're getting is the most perfect that's
possible. Displaying progressive video in an interlaced video mode
_inherently_ telecines it.

Rich