[MPlayer-users] Some remaining problems w/ multimedia on Linux

Reshat Sabiq sabiq at csociety.org
Sat Dec 24 02:18:25 CET 2005

Thanks in advance for any feedback on these:

My main problems w/ multimedia on Linux as of today are are:
1. i can understand MS websites requiring IE (kinda), but would like to at least
be able to view Yahoo news video:
http://news.yahoo.com/video
(this should work, but my actual URL was cookied i guess:)
http://news.yahoo.com/video;_ylt=ApfLeznHAl6hLWst8b3IseSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA2MnU4czRtBHNlYwNzbg--
Maybe there's another trick someone already is using for this (like -afm dmo i
just was told about)?
2. mplayerplug-in doesn't appear to support seeking (left-right arrows don't
have any effect).
Of course there's sporadic crashing related to seeking even in mplayer, and
mplayer seeking isn't very friendly (especiall from the UI), but that is kinda
tolerable.
My guess is that somebody has to contribute that code to the plug-in, correct?
Can anything else be done in the meantime?
3. mplayerplug-in stops video play-back about 5 seconds before the end of the
stream (almost always in the videos i've watched), and audio play back around 1
(maybe 2) seconds before the end (apparently only sometimes).
4. mplayerplug-in URL copy cannot be pasted into gnome-terminal using
Shift+insert, and one has to right-click and do Paste.
5. the killer: DRM'ed streams. ;)

I understand 5. is a major pain in the neck, but hopefully 1-thru-4 could be
resolved in some near future. I'd contribute to plug-in myself, but unlikely to
have the time to do so soon.