[MPlayer-users] unrecognized video-dvd

ilab ilab at freemail.hu
Sat Dec 24 15:44:23 CET 2005

Hey,

my question is not strictly in mplayer/mencoder subject but you might know the
answer which I couldnt find anywhere on the net.

So, I would like to convert an avi to dvd video. I do it as I read in many
faqs: first convert the avi to dvd-compatible format something like

$ mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd  -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:aspect=16/9
 -vf scale=720:576,harddup -ofps 25 -o foo.mpg bar.avi

Then create an xml descriptor for dvdauthor like

<dvdauthor dest="DVD">
  <vmgm />
   <titleset>
     <titles>
       <pgc>
         <vob file="foo.mpg"/>
       </pgc>
      </titles>
   </titleset>
</dvdauthor>

Then author:
$ dvdauthor -x something.xml

Then try:
$ xine dvd:/fullpath/DVD
or
$ mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device DVD
Both work correctly.

Then write to dvd:

$ growisofs -Z /dev/hdc -V SOMETHING -dvd-compat -dvd-video DVD
Executing 'mkisofs -V SOMETHING -dvd-video DVD | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdc
obs=32k seek=0'
INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
        Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
        use -input-charset to override.
/dev/hdc: engaging DVD-RW DAO upon user request...
/dev/hdc: reserving 4080 block, warning for short DAO recording
/dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1385KBps.
Total translation table size: 0
Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
Total directory bytes: 4096
Path table size(bytes): 42
Max brk space used 0
4067 extents written (7 MB)
builtin_dd: 4080*2KB out @ average 0.7x1385KBps
/dev/hdc: flushing cache
/dev/hdc: reloading tray

The complain about UTF8 seems to be not interesting, I have the same problem
after overriding with -input charset.

The complain about short DAO recording is caused by the trying with
a small avi file but I also have the same problem with large input.

Then try to play:

$ mplayer dvd://
MPlayer SuSE Linux 10.0 (i686)-Packman-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
You will not be able to use your remote control.
Playing dvd://.
libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd

And I get similar result with xine.

If I mount the dvd then the data is definitely there and I can play the
mounted stuff with
$ gmplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /media/dvdrecorder/
and
$ xine dvd:/media/dvdrecorder/
both, though I get some error message (but the video is played!) in both
cases:
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdc mounted on /media/dvdrecorder
for CSS authentication
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/hdc with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hdc for reading
libdvdread: Device /dev/hdc inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.

I can play any factory-made dvd-s, but not tried home-made ones yet.

I have searched the net for many days but have no luck so far.
I read that such problem can be caused by unset region code
but it is set to 2 on my drive.

The drive is a Pioneer 110D.

Does anyone have some idea what to do now?
Thanx,
ilab