[MPlayer-users] unrecognized video-dvd

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Sat Dec 24 17:01:58 CET 2005

On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 03:44:23PM +0100, ilab wrote:

> Hey,
>
> my question is not strictly in mplayer/mencoder subject but you might know the
> answer which I couldnt find anywhere on the net.
>
> So, I would like to convert an avi to dvd video. I do it as I read in many
> faqs: first convert the avi to dvd-compatible format something like
>
> $ mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd  -lavcopts
> vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:keyint=15:aspect=16/9
>  -vf scale=720:576,harddup -ofps 25 -o foo.mpg bar.avi
>
> Then create an xml descriptor for dvdauthor like
>
> <dvdauthor dest="DVD">
>   <vmgm />
>    <titleset>
>      <titles>
>        <pgc>
>          <vob file="foo.mpg"/>
>        </pgc>
>       </titles>
>    </titleset>
> </dvdauthor>
>
> Then author:
> $ dvdauthor -x something.xml
>
> Then try:
> $ xine dvd:/fullpath/DVD
> or
> $ mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device DVD
> Both work correctly.
>
> Then write to dvd:
>
> $ growisofs -Z /dev/hdc -V SOMETHING -dvd-compat -dvd-video DVD
> Executing 'mkisofs -V SOMETHING -dvd-video DVD | builtin_dd of=/dev/hdc
> obs=32k seek=0'
> INFO:   UTF-8 character encoding detected by locale settings.
>         Assuming UTF-8 encoded filenames on source filesystem,
>         use -input-charset to override.
> /dev/hdc: engaging DVD-RW DAO upon user request...
> /dev/hdc: reserving 4080 block, warning for short DAO recording
> /dev/hdc: "Current Write Speed" is 2.0x1385KBps.
> Total translation table size: 0
> Total rockridge attributes bytes: 0
> Total directory bytes: 4096
> Path table size(bytes): 42
> Max brk space used 0
> 4067 extents written (7 MB)
> builtin_dd: 4080*2KB out @ average 0.7x1385KBps
> /dev/hdc: flushing cache
> /dev/hdc: reloading tray
>
> The complain about UTF8 seems to be not interesting, I have the same problem
> after overriding with -input charset.
>
> The complain about short DAO recording is caused by the trying with
> a small avi file but I also have the same problem with large input.

Up to now the only possible error I see is the usage of the -dvd-compat option.
That's a growisofs option not a mkisofs option. The correct usage should be:
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/hdc -V SOMETHING -dvd-video DVD
(and I have never seen the message "engaging DVD-RW DAO upon user request"
durning my normal burning with growisofs).

> Then try to play:
>
> $ mplayer dvd://
> MPlayer SuSE Linux 10.0 (i686)-Packman-4.0.2 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
> You will not be able to use your remote control.
> Playing dvd://.
> libdvdread: Could not open device with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/dvd for reading
> Couldn't open DVD device: /dev/dvd

Is /dev/dvd a link to /dev/hdc?
If it points to a different device then you should expect the error.

> And I get similar result with xine.
>
> If I mount the dvd then the data is definitely there and I can play the
> mounted stuff with
> $ gmplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /media/dvdrecorder/
> and
> $ xine dvd:/media/dvdrecorder/
> both, though I get some error message (but the video is played!) in both
> cases:
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdc mounted on /media/dvdrecorder
> for CSS authentication
> libdvdread: Could not open /dev/hdc with libdvdcss.
> libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hdc for reading
> libdvdread: Device /dev/hdc inaccessible, CSS authentication not available.
>
> I can play any factory-made dvd-s, but not tried home-made ones yet.
>
> I have searched the net for many days but have no luck so far.
> I read that such problem can be caused by unset region code
> but it is set to 2 on my drive.
>
> The drive is a Pioneer 110D.
>
> Does anyone have some idea what to do now?
> Thanx,
> ilab

One last thing to try is to use

dvdauthor -o foo foo.mpg
dvdauthor -o foo -T

instead of
dvdauthor -x something.xml
in order to be sure that the problem is not in the xml.

Giacomo