[MPlayer-users] Re: Crash report

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Dec 24 20:26:01 CET 2005

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 10:29:25 -0500
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> > framedrop=yes
>
> Bad. Dropping frames = nasty quality.

The alternative being the video slowing to a crawl momentarily, when
some background task needs the CPU.  Dropping a few frames when needed
is just fine, IMHO (except with tfields).

> Also it used to cause crashing with some codecs too.. dunno if that
> was fixed.

hardframedrop crashes libmpeg2, but I haven't seen any other crashes.

> > cache=8192
>
> Depends a lot on the situation, but cache will just make seeking slow
> on media that doesn't suck (good hdd or optical drive) and will make
> it impossible to play noninterleaved avi files. Best to enable it on a
> per-case basis only if needed, imo.

I very often have something happen in the background that momentarily
maxes out the hard drive, making videos freeze momentarily if not using
cache.  With optical discs, there are often short interruptions to
reading, due to a dirty disc, scratches, layer change, etc.

The difference in seeking is, what, 1ms?  Hardly noticable to me, and
should be completely eliminated with the use of -cache-min 0 (though
admitedly, that doesn't actually seem to help).