[MPlayer-users] Some remaining problems w/ multimedia on Linux

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Dec 26 18:55:12 CET 2005

On 12/26/2005 07:54 AM, John Brown wrote:

(and failed to attribute):

>>> Instead of "View Page Source" use "View Page Info" and look under
>>> the "Media" tab.  Much easier.
>>
>> I tried that, but wasn't able to get it to bring up the relevant
>> window...
>
> Wanderer,
>
> Maybe the plan is to prevent people from downloading their movies. If
> that is so, it seems to be working.

That's not impossible, but it's one severely overbalancing way of
accomplishing that. (Not to mention that it's futile anyway - all you
have to do is use, as your "handle this type of data" browser plugin,
something which saves the stream to disk rather than displaying it.
Harder, but not remotely impossible.)

FWIW, I don't necessarily archive (much less redistribute) the streams I
save to disk; I do it largely to both gain more control over the
playback (since I can then determine for myself when it plays, rather
than "whenever the thing finishes loading 'far enough'") and to avoid
entirely the old "Buffering..." nightmare. The fact that I then have a
local copy in case I decide I want to keep it is just a nice side
benefit.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.