[MPlayer-users] redirect mplayer pcm output to stdout under windows

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 27 17:56:06 CET 2005

On 12/27/2005 06:27 AM, Tobias Damisch wrote:

> Hello there!
>
> I'd like to use something like:
>
>   mplayer -ao pcm:waveheader:file=- blabla.wmv | lame - blabla.mp3
>
> under winXP, cmd. I know it works with named pipes, but i couldn't
> find how to use them under damn cmd. I don't want to install the
> cygwin environment. I've searched documentation and everything, can't
> find how to tell mplayer this.

It is faintly possible that this is an exception, although I couldn't
see how, but: it is not presently possible to output to stdout with
MPlayer/MEncoder, because stdout is still used for printing many of the
messages which appear on the console. Work is in progress (very slowly)
on correcting the coding policy violations which cause that, but it's
anyone's guess as to what year - or, for that matter, decade - it'll be
finished.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.