[MPlayer-users] How to tell if the video input is interlaced or not?

Jouni.Lohikoski@iki.fi jlohikos at cc.hut.fi
Sat Dec 31 16:04:56 CET 2005

On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 02:51:42PM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9003225&forum_id=34082
>
> Disable support for the TV card in the X server by removing the v4l
> module. Then X should not interfere with it.

What is the v4l module in X server?
I have these modules in xorg.conf:
"
Section "Module"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "fbdevhw"
        Load  "glx"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "freetype"
        Load  "type1"
        Load  "dri"
EndSection
"

> It's stupid advice. It should say: "If you capture the video with the
> vertical resolution higher than half of the full resolution (i.e. 288
> for PAL or 240 for NTSC), then the 'frames' you get will really be
> interleaved pairs of fields. Depending on what you want to do with the
> video you may leave it in this form, destructively deinterlace, or
> break the pairs apart into individual fields."

Thanks!
Now it makes sense also why to grab in 25 FPS and still do deinterlacing.

I hope this better explanation makes it to MPlayer documentation to
tv-input.html. Now the old one is still there:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/tv-input.html