[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] XV display too wide

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 1 06:20:31 CET 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 05:04:57PM -0300, Julián Nuñez wrote:

> >>which assuming 4:3 monitor aspect probably is, too.
> >>

> >No. Probably 50% of all displays bought in the last year do not have an
> >aspect ratio of 4:3. More and more notebooks tend to have 15:9 displays
> >and all 17" and 19" TFT displays do have a 4:5 aspect ratio.
> >

> Uh, I may be living in another world, but here in Argentina we barely
> know what TFT displays are. 99.9% of users use 4:3 displays.

i agree totally, and i'm living in the usa. why the hell would i have
bought a monitor in the past year, or even the past 10 years? there's
no point in ever replacing one unless it dies. and 4:5 aspect, what
the fuck?! that's nonsense. i assume you mean 5:4, but even that's bad
because it's horrible for playing movies. 16:9 might be nice, but...

rich