[MPlayer-users] Re: anime encoding (VHS tape)

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Feb 1 06:22:31 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 05:16:17AM +0200, Ville Saari wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 11:51:16AM -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote:
>
> > this is not "normal interlaced"... if it's pal and you see combing, it
> > means it was framerate-converted from telecined ntsc, and the result
> > will be absolutely horrible.
>
> Not necessarily. It might just be that it was telecined top-field-first
> and the capture card combined fields into frames bottom-field-first or
> vice versa. If this is the case, then -vf phase helps.

good point. actually i sort of consider this a type of "pulldown"...
any conversion of progressive content to a format for display on an
interlaced device is pulldown from my standpoint. and vf_pullup should
be able to reverse it, although i expect vf_phase is better for this
specific case.

anyway thanks for jumping in.

rich